Speaking Out for Asian Americans on “The Morning Show”May 31, 2021
- Leverett Wing, Executive Director of the Commonwealth Seminar and a fourth generation American of Asian descent, will visit “The Morning Show” on Thursday, June 3rd to discuss ways to counter the disturbing rise in anti-Asian American violence over the past year.
- Host Mary Jacobsen will interview Wing about his personal experiences being asked where he’s “really from” or being complimented for how “remarkably well” he speaks English, and the implicit message of these comments that citizens of Asian descent are somehow “less American.”
- Wing will talk about why he thinks it’s critical for Asian American stories to be told, for their contributions to American culture and business to be celebrated, and for the history of government-sponsored discrimination against past generations of Asian Americans to be better known.
- Wing will also discuss the the pervasive but false stereotype of Asian Americans as the silent, monolithic “model minority,” and will clarify the urgency of giving visibility to more accurate, nuanced representations of these extremely diverse populations.
- “The Morning Show” airs Thursday at 9 a.m. on Channel 9 and WJOP (FM 96.3) and also live streams on YouTube (click on YouTube at NCMHub.org). After broadcast, look on the YouTube Playlist for “The Morning Show.” Each show is also available on the Sound Cloud (click on the cloud at NCMHub.org).
For more information contact:
Newburyport Community Media